About Me

My photo
I am mundane and magical, Silly and serious. I am an underachiever who suspects that someday in the eternities I may yet blossom and even fruit. I am a collector of spirits and essences, a studier of mood and nuance.I have many many faults and yet I've always been loved. I am a good friend, but I will let you go if you so desire. I believe in Somewhen. I laugh easily and cannot often cry, which I know is a Flaw. Like You, I am a work in progess.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Night Boat
Old pier wood creaked and groaned
as we amble-danced in the yellow
 circles cast by our flashlights-
pale reflection of the glittering, pure-bright
 scintillations gleaming above in
softened obsidian sky.

The chug-purring launch bounced softly in the current.
We streamed in
 took a seat along the sides.
 In quickened laugh-talk,
 anticipatory,
we jabbered our way into open water.

Lanterns illumed the sea on either side of our craft,
luring a lambent chum of glowing plankton,
 drawn like watery moths-

 A silver shape sliced an angle across the water!
Then more,
 schools of silvery squid slashing the borders of light,
quick sentient missiles.

“Shhh,” Preston, our leader, shhh’d us
“I heard a sea lion over there”
As she said it,
I heard the sharp blow of expelled breath.
Subdued, we waited.

“Look! …There!”
Something gray broke the water
Then rocketing, rolling
 toward us,
unbelievably fast
snatched a squid and sped into the dark.
It must have dove deep,
the other side of the boat never saw it.
I got a good, close look-
the barreling body rolling joyously in the hunt
It came again! Then again!
We were all standing, straining to see.
Reluctantly, I yielded my place to a person
 from the other side
and then, suddenly,
there were three!
They streaked beneath us repeatedly
till the captain finally doused the light and
steered us pier side.


And, after-
After the lab where we squinted
over fresh plankton slides
watching microscopic monsters
devour each other,

I thought of those playful, happy sea lion faces,
how they moved so freely,
orienting themselves
Independent of gravity it seemed.

How they live without pockets
 or oppressive politics.

I was glad I got to see them
Before Fukushima radiation
spread across the sea-

Our unreturnable gift to them.



No comments:

Post a Comment