About Me

My photo
I am mundane and magical, Silly and serious. I am an underachiever who suspects that someday in the eternities I may yet blossom and even fruit. I am a collector of spirits and essences, a studier of mood and nuance.I have many many faults and yet I've always been loved. I am a good friend, but I will let you go if you so desire. I believe in Somewhen. I laugh easily and cannot often cry, which I know is a Flaw. Like You, I am a work in progess.

Monday, August 25, 2014

Today was the first day of a new semester at school. I started the day by mailing a friend in Bellingham WA three loaves of pumpkin bread, then I went to the school bookstore to pick up my pre-ordered books. While I was there I also bought a $99 digital recorder. I did this because it has Dragon software which SAYS it will translate my chemistry teacher's voice (and folks, his voice is a DOOZY) into text! If this actually works i will be thrilled to tears! I had a little time after finishing up at the bookstore so I thought I would go get my parking permit. The fiasco of that process pretty much sums up my overall impression of my school. The classes have been better than the school so I don't want to give the impression I haven't enjoyed THEM, but the tenor of the school is dronish and vexingly stupid. They had a HUGE line of students (and I assume faculty, because they also require faculty to purchase these parking permits) and they had TWO people processing them. One of those was dedicated solely to processing cash, check or online requests but it was a single line and one did not know this till one was very near the counters. I could not stay that first attempt, I would have been late to my chemistry class. I intend to do MUCH better in this round of chemistry. First off, it's not a requirement I need to satisfy anymore and paradoxically that makes me more intent and interested. Also, I do remember some of it and have an idea of what will be expected. After chemistry I went and had a good lunch (and smiled that my waiter remembered me even to half my name) then I went back and braved that awful line for the parking permit. Wish I'd known I could have skipped it by bringing cash! Then to the library for a short stint on the computers while waiting for my creative writing class. That class was pretty well attended, and the teacher is the one who auditioned for those who would decide if she was hired in my poetry class last semester. She remembered me too and even made a joke. One exercise we did in Creative Writing today was called the 6 word memoir. If this page was actually interactive with people who commented I would be curious to see what you'd come up with. Examples were:

Procrastination. Nothing finished or always late.

Alcoholic mother loved me the most.

I still make coffee for two.

Born in California. Then nothing happened.

Still have not learned to swim.

I was impressed by this exercise! We only had a few minutes and none of mine were as good as these bu t here are my responses. I might try this again sometime with more time to consider

luminous generosity swathed in goofy unbeauty.

life lesson: predators prize the innocent.

surface skimmer wanted to go deep.

sometimes I regret the forever things.

fierce enough to be gently peaceful.

God jokes- funny, but with thorns.

How would you sum up your life in 6 words?

There was a girl in my class. I am thinking she may be Navajo. She was worried about not having the book. Her financial aid isn't expected till next week. After class, I asked if she wanted to go to the bookstore. I bought her book. I bought ALL her books. I've bought books for people who seemed to be struggling every semester I have been in school. This girl was very grateful. I don't do it for gratitude. I do it because not having what you need when you need it is very disheartening and it just seems wrong to me for people to be in that predicament just because they don't have money. After class I went and got Bruce some chicken and dumplings and some money I have borrowed from him. I came home and did a little homework, talked briefly to my friend Jaime who did get the bread i mailed him and tried the pumpkin bread so he could tell me it was good. His niece Twila is not feeling well today. I guess chemotherapy and radiation 5 days a week for 5 weeks (she's just started) might wear on your mood. Especially with no insurance. After that I started putting feelers out for someone who can plumb me a grooming tub and install some extra electrical outlets. I've decided that i will not get my tooth fixed. Will not get glasses, will not get my car fixed or any of the other things on a long list I would like to accomplish. I am going to get the grooming business up and viable. Tomorrow morning I will check into the business license.

And now I think I will go to bed and heartily hope NOT to be haunted again tonight. I need the sleep.


1 comment: