About Me

My photo
I am mundane and magical, Silly and serious. I am an underachiever who suspects that someday in the eternities I may yet blossom and even fruit. I am a collector of spirits and essences, a studier of mood and nuance.I have many many faults and yet I've always been loved. I am a good friend, but I will let you go if you so desire. I believe in Somewhen. I laugh easily and cannot often cry, which I know is a Flaw. Like You, I am a work in progess.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Only us...... We have had a mouse problem. It tapered off and we thought they were, if not gone, at least not interacting on a level we can't stand (ie in our pantry, our drawers) We suspected there were some in a cabinet. Anyway, they returned to the pantry which cannot be tolerated. Last year, catch and release seemed to do well. We used non lethal traps, no glue or anything like that either. The commercial mouse catcher we bought at more expense than we liked gathered NO mice. Not one. but Bruce's own contraption of a medium sized plastic trash can with a paper towel tube baited with peanut butter poised above it yielded good results. Bruce did read that mice removed from their nest usually die and that made us sad because we really do not want to kill living beings. But we did want them out of the house and we figured at least they had a chance. The last mouse I evicted, I took so far away (I usually drop them off in a field in Ivins) this time I took the mouse way past Kayenta. (I was driving Bruce's car to charge the battery) Anyway, that mouse was so cute and I felt bad when I took him, worse than usual. And when it became very cold a few days later I felt very guilty. So... the other day a mouse apparently jumped into the trash can without the lure of the bait. The bait tube hadn't moved. We were astonished. More so when two more did the same! So....three baby mice in the can. I could not bring myself to take them to a field knowing they were going to die. What did we do? Bruce (who had apparently been considering this for awhile) suggested a habitrail he'd seen on ebay. So, having discussed it with me we agreed to fork out $40 for the cage (complete with wheel) and some bedding material. I still plan to rehome them to a field when it warms up, but this could be the winter solution. Only us....

No comments:

Post a Comment